区别辨析avail、benefit与profit
这些动词均含有“多益于,多益”之意。
avail :较文雅,稀有于汗青小说、演说或讲道中,较少用于平常话语,侧重成效或效能。
His efforts were to no avail
他白搭无功。
I apologized repeatedly, but to little avail.
我多次致歉,但丝毫没有奏效。
I avail myself of this opportunity to renew to you the assurances of my highest consideration.
顺致最崇高的敬意。
Of what avail is it?
何济于事?
Now it's done, regrets are of no avail.
事已云云,后悔也是徒然。
benefit :通常既可指一局部情况(如肢体、智力或精力形态等)的全愈或改良,又可指对完成某个目标等带来的利益。
We should spend the money on something that will benefit everyone.
我们应该把这笔钱花在各位都能得益的事上。
Both sides have benefited from the talks.
两边都从会商中获益。
profit :偏重于物质方面的获益,常用于财产或知识等方面的得益。
Farmers are profiting from the new legislation.
新法例使农夫获益。
We tried to profit by our mistakes (= learn from them).
我们积极从错误中吸取教导。
Many local people believe the development will profit them.
当地的很多人以为,这项开发将对他们有利。